Short description of activity: Use the RiseVT MyTray poster for students to draw or collage their favorite meal, or a balanced meal they would eat in the cafeteria.
Type of activity: Food and Nutrition
Minimum Time Needed for Activity: 30 minutes +
Grade Level: K – 4th
Subject Area: Food and Nutrition, Health
- Print the RiseVT MyTray poster on tabloid- or legal-sized paper.
- If collaging or drawing, set out supplies appropriate to that class.
- Magazines, grocery store advertisements, pictures students take and print.
- Glue, scissors, colored pencils, markers, etc.
- Review the six food groups (Fruits, Vegetables, Dairy, Protein, Grains, Sometimes) and discuss examples of each.
- Distribute materials to each student with the prompt “make a healthy meal with foods from the healthy food groups.”
- Have students partner share or share with the class what items they chose for their tray.
- If drawn, help students label what items they drew.
- Change prompt to:
- “Favorite meal,”
- “Foods you would like to try,”
- “If you were cooking the meal, what would you make?”
- Laminate the page to be used as a placemat. Include information from www.myplate.gov or Serving Up MyPlate
ELA Standards > Speaking and Listening > Comprehension and Collaboration; Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas
Health Education Standards: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7
National Core Arts Standards: 1, 3, 4, 5