I Feel Calm Now
To release tension, and bring calm
- Sit in a comfortable position, either in a chair or criss-cross-applesauce on the floor with plenty of space between you and the people next to you. You should be able to bring your arms wide to your side without bumping into anyone or anything.
You should be able to bring your arms wide to your side without bumping into anyone or anything.
- Hold your hands in front of you, about chest high.
- We will say “I Feel Calm Now” as you do your finger movements in time with each word. With each word you say, touch your thumb to a finger, beginning with the thumb to the pointer finger, then the middle, the ring finger and the pinkie finger. Say “I” touch the thumb and pointer finger together (both hands working at the same time).
- Say “I” touch the thumb and pointer finger together (both hands working at the same time).
- Say “Feel” touch the thumb and middle finger together.
- Say “Calm” touch the thumb and the ring finger together.
- Say “Now” touch the thumb and pinkie finger together
- Work your way back to the beginning, touching the pinkie finger and thumb again, then the ring finger to the thumb, the middle finger and ending with the pointer finger.
- Begin by taking a couple slow, deep breaths. Then sing or say the words out loud while exhaling as you work toward the pinkie finger. Finish exhaling, take another deep breath and sing or say the words again as you work back toward the pointer finger
- Continue working back and forth, singing or saying the chant for a minute, then whisper it for a minute, and finally complete it within your own mind (inside voice) for a minute.
- End by bringing your hands up in the air above your head, palms out fingers pointing straight up, with a big inhale. While exhaling, sweep your arms and hands down in a big arc like a rainbow to the floor beside you.
Adapted from http://kidsrelaxation.com