Short description of activity: Students are joined together at the ankle and need to work together to reach the finish line.
Type of activity: Team Building
Minimum Time Needed for Activity: 20 minutes
Grade Level: 4th +
Subject Area: Team Building
- Lots of bandanas
- Wide-open space with no obstacles
- Divide groups into teams of three to six. Give each team bandanas numbering one less than the team size.
- Have the team line up shoulder-to-shoulder. Teammates tie their ankles together, as in for a three-legged race. (A team of four would have five “legs” and three bandanas)
- Establish beginning and end of a race course.
- Have students practice moving around the space until they are more comfortable and to strategize.
- Run races to see which team makes it across the course first.
- When the team lines up, have every other person face the opposite way.
- Set up a slalom course for the teams to go through, or have to pass through hula hoops, etc.
- Give points (or deduct time) for teams crossing the course without falling.
- Have teams go through a course where each person has to pick up an item.