Every day we will be posting a new article filled with resources during this stressful time. To get these recommendations directly in your inbox, sign up to get more daily tips.
If you or someone you know is in need of COVID-19 or mental health resources, please visit OneCareVT’s resource list.
Did you know that in 2018, 1 out of 5 high school students reported using e-cigarettes in the past month? While it is still early in the COVID-19 outbreak to fully understand how vaping affects the risk for getting the virus, it is always a good time to quit. Vaping is known to cause both injury to the lungs and decreased immune responses, which are both important for fighting off viruses. Smoking kills 400,000 Americans per year and is the #1 preventable cause of death. Vaping is also never safe for teens. Nicotine impacts their brain development and means they may be more likely to become addicted. With teens at home, now could be a good time to talk to them about vaping. In addition to the Beyond the Haze video above highlighting how vaping makes teens more vulnerable to infection, here are some other resources if you or someone you know is trying to quit:
- “Unhyped” is a campaign from the Vermont Department of Health and has an interactive website that shows the impacts and risks of vaping.
- 802Quits.org and 1-800-QUIT-NOW offers cessation services, ages 13 and older along with special protocols for Native American populations, teens, and pregnant women. They also have access to free nicotine replacement therapies (patches, gum & lozenges) when advised (not for those under 18 or pregnant women) and as always, while supplies last.
- Youth and young people who would like to quit can text VTVapeFree to 88709 or visit teen.smokefree.gov.
Other ideas, tips, and resources to keep you and your family healthy, active, and informed during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Add some stretching to your day!
- A really simple comforting meal for the beginning of your week!
- Build a calm down kit for your child.
- Join the Vermont Institute of Natural Science for a video investigation on Thursday!
- The Green Mountain Club has many virtual events and workshops!
Does your organization have local virtual events or resources that you want us to share? Feel free to reach out to us via our Facebook page, or contact us via email at email@example.com.