Every day we will be posting a new article filled with resources during this stressful time. To get these recommendations directly in your inbox, sign up to get more daily tips.
If you or someone you know is in need of COVID-19 or mental health resources, please visit OneCareVT’s resource list.
Television and movies can be a welcome escape while we are home more during this pandemic. That said, it’s important to limit screen time for improved health and well-being. For children, 2 hours a day is the recommended max for screen time and adults should try and follow the same rule – at least during free time. If you have kids, this can help role model healthy screen time behavior while you may also experience the benefits linked to reduced screen time: improved mood, better sleep, improved physical health, decreased obesity, enhanced relationships, and increased time to try new activities. If you aren’t in the habit of reading regularly or want to get more reading in your life as a replacement for unwinding in front of the TV, one strategy to get on track is to start a book club! It could be with a friend, a family member, or a group of friends of family members. You can agree to read a certain amount of chapters in a week and pick up the phone or video chat to discuss! This has the added benefit of keeping us connected with our loved ones even when we can’t physically be together. And remember, your local library and book stores are likely doing curbside pick-up!
Other ideas, tips, and resources to keep you and your family healthy, active, and informed during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- If you are have been feeling good running or walking during our Rise to 5K training you may consider getting out a little early for a practice 5k with one of these races!
- Some tips for cooking for one person! Remember your freezer is your friend!
- Feeding your family can give you peace of mind. If you are in need of food here are some options throughout the state from the Farmers to Families program.
- Join the Echo Leahy Center for some science and stories!
- Now that the weather is getting warmer, grab your dinner and have it outside one night this week!
Does your organization have local virtual events or resources that you want us to share? Feel free to reach out to us via our Facebook page, or contact us via email at email@example.com.