Every day we will be posting a new article filled with resources during this stressful time. To get these recommendations directly in your inbox, sign up to get more daily tips.
If you or someone you know is in need of COVID-19 or mental health resources, please visit OneCareVT’s resource list.
Going out for a walk is one of the few things we can do to get out of the house and be active. At OneCare Vermont where the RIseVT statewide team works, we have created a steps challenge as a way to stay connected during this time and encourage physical activity that keeps us healthy. Here are the steps we have taken to set up the challenge for you to try with your friends, family, or coworkers too!
- We use Stridekick.to create our teams and keep track of steps.This app is free and can sync with devices like Fitbits and Apple Watches to count steps automatically.
- For participants who bike, swim, do yoga, and so forth, they can count their activity as steps with this activity converter.
- Get more people involved by creating multiple teams with different step goals. We have 4 teams with the respective daily goals of 5,000, 7,500, 10,000, and 12,000 steps. The winning team is the team that gets the greatest % increase in steps week over week.
- Motivate everyone by announcing how many steps your group has accumulated each week.
- Make it fun with prizes! They don’t have to be expensive. Although if you are going to spend money, consider supporting local businesses!
Other ideas, tips, and resources to keep you and your family healthy, active, and informed during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Another beginner workout from The Edgar May Health and Recreation Center to start off your Tuesday!
- Have you tried focaccia art yet? Here is an easy recipe to get you started!
- Many kids may be feeling more anxiety now more than ever. Here is a list of books to help them overcome these feelings. Remember you may be able to find many of these books at your local library!
- Get moving and take the hummingbird wing beat challenge! Can you flap your arms as fast as a hummingbird?
- Want to learn a bit more about the trees in your yard or favorite hiking spot? Here is a great way to get started!
Does your organization have local virtual events or resources that you want us to share? Feel free to reach out to us via our Facebook page, or contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.